BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, December 5, 2010

My Opinion: Is Keri Hilson's video "The Way You Love Me Video" too sexy?

Here's the video, just in case you missed it:


You've probably heard about Keri Hilson's new video for her single "The Way You Love Me ft. Rick Ross".  I may be a little biased because I've been a Keri Hilson fan since her single "Energy", so stay with me.  As a young woman in this hyper-sexualized society, I'm going to say it: I don't see anything wrong with this video.  Now before you go off on a tantrum, hear me out.  

I'm noticing a trend in music these days: it's okay to booty-pop, give crotch shots, and talk about sex as long as it's "subtle".  

When Beyonce gives a crotch shot, the world doesn't stop spinning.  

No one questions when Nicki Minaj raps:
"I really like your kitty cat
and if you let me touch her
I know you're not a bluffer
I'll take you to go see usher
I keep a couple hoes
like santa I keep a vixon I got dasher, dancer, prancer,
dixon, comet, cupid, donner, blitzen."

But when Keri Hilson makes a song saying she has "the type of p*ssy that will keep you out the streets", Black women in America want to scream and shout that it's degrading.  I have a question though: aren't these the same women who follow the instructions when "Get Low" comes on?  Isn't that a little hypocritical? 

People are trying to say that now Keri Hilson is using sex to sell her music, but honestly her sexy image is not new. 


All that's different is now she put it in a video.  I applaud her for taking control of her sexuality and not being afraid to say "I don't want to be held and caressed every night. Sometimes, I do want to be f**ked." (Source)  Many older women might turn their nose up at this comment, but I think she tells the truth.  There's nothing wrong with wanting your man to blow your back out once in a while.  She has the attitude to say it.  It's 2010; there is nothing wrong with a woman being honest about her sexuality, and showcasing it.  I don't think she should be faulted for this.

Obviously the song and the video aren't meant for children - that's where the parents step in.  I hate hearing parents say things about the media's influence on children.  It does have an influence, but it's up to the parents to explain the messages or shield their child from it.  I'm sure Keri wasn't thinking "Oh gosh, I wonder if kids are going to like this song."  Just like I'm sure exotic dancers don't think "I wonder if the kids in the audience are going to be offended."  They don't think that because there aren't any children in the audience to begin with.  So if a six year old learns the words to this song, I'm going to look at the parents, and not Keri Hilson.

Very few women complained about the woman in Trey Songz's "Invented Sex" video, and the song has a similar message to Keri Hilson's song.  The woman was shown in her lingerie and she was in some very sexual positions with Trey Songz.  So why is it a problem that Keri Hilson does the same thing, but in an edgier way?

I don't think Keri Hilson's video should be frowned upon because of the sexual content.  It's 2010, and it's about time a woman spoke her mind about what she likes in the bedroom, without reciting it as poetry or metaphors.  She was blunt and honest, and I give her credit for that.  Once Black women stop dancing to the booty-shakin' club songs, then I think the arguments against Keri Hilson will be valid.  Of course, that won't happen anytime soon! LOL

2 Comments:

Mary said...

I totally agree with you
I loved the video
love keri hilson

Sydney J said...

Thank you! It's good to know that there aren't too many haters out there lol

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...